Peter SchneiderChief Health Sciences Counsel
J.D., University of San Diego
B.A., University of California, Riverside
Admitted: California; C.D. Cal.; S.D. Cal.; E.D. Cal.; 9th Cir.; U.S. Supreme Court
Mr. Schneider provides legal advice regarding all aspects of healthcare law to the chancellor, executive vice chancellor and provost, CEO UC Irvine Medical Center and other members of the UCI Medical Center senior management, dean, School of Medicine, and the president, UCI University Physicians and Surgeons Medical Group. He is a member of the Hospital Senior Management Group, Governing Body Advisory Committee, Medical Executive Committee, Medical Staff Credentials Committee and the Risk Management Committee. Mr. Schneider also oversees the Medical Center's Risk Management Department. His practice includes state and federal regulatory issues, including STARK II and anti-kickback analysis; group purchasing; joint ventures and affiliations with various entities; physician discipline and medical staff matters; accreditation issues; internal and external investigations; acquisitions; facility and School of Medicine strategic planning; and faculty compensation.
Before joining the Irvine campus, Mr. Schneider was University Counsel in the Office of General Counsel with primary responsibility for legal oversight of the UC Hospital and Professional Medical Liability Program involving its five medical schools and teaching hospitals, two affiliated county hospitals, student health centers and all faculty and residents. There, he was also responsible for initiating a system-wide "medical risk management committee" of medical directors from all facilities to concentrate on systematic sharing of risk reduction strategies implemented by the campuses.
Before joining the University, Mr. Schneider was a partner with Thomas, Mort, Prosser & Knudsen (in Riverside) and Bonne, Bridges, Mueller, O'Keefe & Nichols (in Los Angeles).
Recent University Service:
- Medical Staff Bylaws Committee
- Department Clinical Review Committee
- Corporate Compliance Committee
- MOU and Service Agreement Committee
- Quality and Safety Committee
- Ad Hoc Committee on Settlement Allocations
- UCIMC Business Development Committee
- Executive Vice Chancellor/Provost Conflict of Interest Committee
- Permanent Invitee, Faculty Practice Organization Board of Directors
- Grand Rounds, "Legal Issues Regarding Medical Records," La Palma Community Hospital and Coastal Community Hospital (February 16, 2010 and March 9, 2010)
- "Hospital Legal Duties to the Homeless Upon Discharge," Association of Academic Health Centers, Executive Leadership Group for Counsel, Washington, D.C. (April 23, 2009)
- "United States Healthcare Law and Patient Protections," Tianjin Medical University, Tianjin, People’s Republic of China (October 21, 2008)
- Panelist, "Avoiding Institutional Conflict of Interest," October 2, 2008, Association of Academic Health Centers, Executive Leadership Group for Counsel, Washington, D.C.
- "Informed Consent," (one-hour lecture, co-presented with Felicia Cohn, Ph.D. three times annually for third- and fourth-year medical students) (2006 to present)
- "Malpractice and Privacy Issues Facing Dermatologists," Skin Disease Educational Foundation, Phoenix, AZ (January 12, 2007)
- "In House Counsel’s Perspective on Compliance Issues," LA County Bar Association Healthcare Section, Los Angeles (September 28, 2006)
- Adjunct Professor of Law, UC Irvine School of Law