Important Housing Information for Thanksgiving and Winter Break
November 20, 2020
Dear Housing Residents,
We hope you are holding up well during this increasingly challenging time, when we are heading into the end of the quarter while Covid cases are rising on campus and throughout the country. As you read the important updates below, please know that our persistence is based on a firm commitment to do all we can to protect your health and well-being. Here are some important updates going into this weekend before Thanksgiving:
- Orange County and the UCI Campus is now in the Purple Tier, which includes:
- A prohibition on all indoor gatherings, programs and events;
- Shutdown of nonessential indoor service locations (e.g., the ARC, Libraries and Study Centers);
- A nightly curfew from 10:00 p.m. – 5:00 a.m. based upon a new Order of the State Public Health Officer. Please refer to the order for details. The curfew is in effect for one month, so through the end of the quarter, but it may be extended or revised by the state as needed.
- This change in “tier” status does not affect campus directives on wearing face-coverings or physical distancing.
- Please also note that a Travel Advisory has been issued by the California Department of Public Health, strongly encouraging residents to stay home or in their region and avoid non-essential travel to other states or countries. The UCI campus has extended this advisory, directing students traveling, even within the state, to sequester for 14 days upon their return to campus. Learn more about sequestration requirements here.
- We still strongly recommend only two options for Thanksgiving Weekend: (1) Stay on campus OR (2) Go home for the rest of the quarter and return after winter break.
- If you must travel, consult these travel tips provided on the UCI Forward website.
- The campus is experiencing a marked increase in positive Covid cases over the past week, including multiple cases resulting from a prohibited gathering. Noncompliance with Covid-protective measures will only add to rising case counts, disrupt the end of fall quarter studies, and could subject students to disciplinary actions, including the loss of on-campus housing. The Office of Academic Integrity and Student Conduct has imposed a number of interim suspensions as a means to protect the health and safety of the greater campus community.
- Students remaining on-campus for Thanksgiving Weekend should be aware that all Covid-prevention restrictions remain in place. Students found participating in gatherings or other prohibited activities will be subject to standard conduct procedures.
- Students who are placed in Covid isolation or quarantine should read all instructions carefully and may email HousingCovidQuestion@housing.uci.edu if you have questions.
- IF you haven’t yet done so, REGISTER YOUR THANKSGIVING PLANS HERE by Tuesday 11/24/20: http://cglink.me/s39479.
o Please complete the form even if you responded to the earlier Thanksgiving Plans Survey that was sent out in late October.
o If your plans have changed since you submitted your response, click the link to update your plans.
We understand that students are stressed, and we want to support you!
While you are working hard at your studies and coping with Life in the Covid Age, take time to care for your physical, mental, and emotional health needs. Housing staff are available in your community to offer assistance, and you can also find links to a multitude of campus resources on the UCI Forward Website. With just a few weeks left before a much needed winter break, we wish you good health and great success in wrapping up your fall quarter studies!
Tim Trevan, Executive Director