Housing Updates for March 12th
March 12, 2021
Hello Housing Residents!
We appreciate your attention to these weekly updates, and knowing that you are busy preparing for finals, I’ll keep this as brief as possible. Here are the updates for March 12, 2021:
- With any luck, Orange County will move into the Red Tier within the next week or so. Stay tuned for campus messaging on how this will impact Covid-19 restrictions and permitted activities. For now, please continue to follow Purple Tier guidelines and all prevention measures. Stay safe through finals so that your plans for spring break do not get derailed by Covid-19 isolation or quarantine.
- Thank you to those of you who shared your plans for spring break in this Campus Groups survey at http://cglink.me/2eo/s43212. If you haven’t responded yet, please do so since survey data will help us plan spring break operations more effectively.
- During finals week, the Student Health Center and all Covid testing sites will remain open with regular hours of operation. During spring break, SHC will be open on Monday 3/22, Weds 3/24 and Thursday 3/25, and the DCE and Plaza Verde testing sites will be open M-F 8-4:30 and Sat at DCE from 9-1. The VDC site will be closed for the week.
- If you travel over the break, you will be required to get a COVID test within 48 hours of your return to campus, test again seven days later, and sequester for 10 days. Those remaining on campus will have no sequestering or additional testing requirement beyond regularly scheduled weekly testing.
- Your Winter Quarter Recurring Appointments will end on March 20. Spring Quarter recurring appointments begin during the week of March 22nd. Be sure to schedule your Spring Quarter Recurring Appointments at your earliest convenience by going to the Student Health Portal: https://osh.chs.uci.edu. Recurring appointments can also be made by Covid testing site check-in staff.
- There have been questions about whether new CDC guidelines for vaccinated individuals apply to students who have been vaccinated. Please note that current state and local guidance followed by the campus (superseding CDC recommendations) has not changed for vaccinated individuals.
March 11th marked one year since Covid-19 was declared a pandemic by the CDC. We have all been through a LOT since then, and it’s worth taking a moment to reflect on that experience and on our hopes for the year to come. Chancellor Gillman shared some of his reflections in his 3/11/21 email, and provided a link to a broader campus reflection,The Year of Covid, for those who are interested.
“The resilience of our health team, researchers, faculty, students and staff is nothing short of extraordinary. The stories that highlight our unprecedented and turbulent year – in which UCI has not only survived but in many ways made progress – are showcased in the special report, The Year of COVID.”
It bears restating that students have both suffered and shown remarkable grit and resilience over the past year. We salute you for that and wish you a successful conclusion to your winter quarter studies! Good luck with finals!
To stay on top of campus COVID-19 information and updates, visit the UCI Forward Coronavirus Information Hub at https://uci.edu/coronavirus/.
If you have questions regarding these updates or other COVID-19-related issues in Housing, email them to HousingCovidQuestion@uci.edu.
Tim Trevan, Executive Director