Reminder: vaccine eligibility for 16+, 18+ and upload your vaccine record
April 14, 2021
President Biden has announced that beginning April 19, all Americans ages 18 and older are eligible to receive a COVID-19 vaccine. For students outside of California, vaccinefinder.org is a national resource to help you find clinics, pharmacies and other locations that offer COVID-19 vaccines in the United States.
While COVID-19 vaccines are not required at UCI at this time, we strongly encourage those who are eligible to get one. Please consider seeking out a vaccine at one of the distribution sites, pharmacies or your medical provider. Below is information to help you.
- To find vaccination clinics in California, register at the state’s MyTurn web page to record your eligibility and be notified when appointments are available near you. The UCI Bren Events Center is one of the locations available through MyTurn depending on vaccine availability.
- The Orange County Health Care Agency compiled this list of vaccine distribution sites. You may reach out to one of these distribution sites directly.
- The FRESH Basic Needs Hub is providing transportation support for students who face financial barriers accessing a vaccine site.
- If you have already received your COVID-19 vaccine, you can upload your Vaccination Record Card by visiting the UCI Student Health Center portal. While vaccines are not mandatory at this time, the campus anticipates that our ability to open the campus for Fall 2021 will be contingent on the number of vaccinated students.
- We anticipate that in the near future students who are fully vaccinated will be exempt from the campus asymptomatic testing program. Student athletes and students involved in other specific activities may still require ongoing asymptomatic testing.
- For students enrolled in UC SHIP, a referral is required from the Student Health Center’s Insurance Services Department if you receive your vaccination at a clinic or physician’s office. A referral is not required if you receive your vaccination at a pharmacy. To request a referral, please email email@example.com or call 949.824.2388.
- Your vaccination provider may bill UC SHIP for a vaccine administration fee. You should inquire when you arrive for your appointment. If the provider does bill for administering the vaccine, the claim will be denied without a referral unless the provider is a pharmacy. If you do not obtain a referral in advance, please contact SHC’s Insurance Services department after you receive your vaccine(s) to request a retroactive referral. A retroactive referral will not be provided until you upload your vaccination records to the UCI Student Health Center portal.
- ★ At this time, COVID-19 vaccines are not available at the Student Health Center (SHC).
Appointments are added to the distribution sites listed above on a regular basis as vaccine doses are received. Vaccine delivery varies from week to week, so check often for newly added appointments. Vaccinations are highly effective in preventing severe COVID-19 disease, hospitalization and death. For additional information on the COVID-19 vaccine, please see this FAQ.
UCI’s contact tracing center is available to help individuals find vaccine appointments and can be reached at 949.824.2300. They are also able to assist students with uploading your vaccine records to the Student Health Portal, as well as accessing their vaccine records in California.
Please seek all avenues for appointments as soon as you are eligible. The best vaccine is the one available to you as soon as possible. Let’s get our #SleevesUpUCI and get vaccinated to continue to slow the spread and move closer toward reopening society and campus. For questions or if you need assistance with finding a vaccination appointment, please contact 949.824.2300.
Willie L. Banks Jr., Ph.D.
Albert Chang, M.D., M.P.H.