Important Housing Updates – Returning to Campus
January 21, 2022
Dear Housing Residents:
If you have already returned to campus, welcome back! If you plan to return to campus this weekend or sometime next week, please read the important information below regarding required ‘test and sequester’ procedures for all on-campus residents. This information was also shared in a campus email that was sent on January 10th.
Return to Campus Procedures – Winter 2022
- Plan to return to campus at least 7 days prior to your first in-person class. For example, if you plan to attend in-person classes on January 31, 2022, follow this timeline:
- Jan 24 (or sooner): return to campus and test using a campus supplied antigen home test kit available for pick up at your community housing office. If a kit is not available, test at a campus testing site.
- Jan 29 (or 5 days after 1st test): complete a 2nd test using campus provided antigen home test kit or test at a campus testing site if home test kit is not available.
- Jan 31 (or 7 days after first test): release from sequestration
- Before your return to campus, complete a COVID-19 test no more than 72 hours prior to your return date. Testing may be available at pharmacies either in-person or take home. If you test positive, please do not return to campus until you have met criteria to exit isolation as found on the UCI Forward Isolation and Quarantine page.
- Get your COVID-19 booster and upload to the Student Health Portal by January 31. Learn more on the UCI Forward Website.
When you arrive on-campus:
- Complete two COVID-19 tests five days apart as described above.
(If you are an unvaccinated student with an approved exemption, antigen testing does not replace your requirement to test weekly.)
- If you test positive on either test, report your COVID-positive status on the Student Health Center patient portal immediately. Someone from Student Health or Contact Tracing will contact you by email within 24 hours. (If you return to campus on Saturday (1/22) or Sunday (1/23), report your positive test results on the Student Health Center patient portal and then call Contact Tracing at (949) 823-2300. If you are asked to leave a message, be sure to include your name and phone number and you will receive a callback.) Student Housing will contact you by phone with instructions for isolation. Stay in your room, minimize contact with others, and wear a face covering except while sleeping.
- If your initial COVID-19 test is negative, sequester for seven days, or until you obtain a second negative test. During this time, leave your residence only for essential activities – such as work, food pick-up, medical care, or to participate in low-risk outdoor recreation. Avoid large gatherings, such as athletic events, movie theaters, or indoor concerts.
The UCI Forward website continues to be the best source of information on COVID-19 and the campus response.
We wish you well in the return to in-person instruction next week. We are certainly looking forward to welcoming you back to campus!